If you like lemon chicken, these meatballs will be great for you to try. They are zesty, full of flavor, and easy to make. They pair great with pasta, or a salad! Below are some quick tips and the recipe.
To start, you will want to add the raw ground chicken, egg, and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Mix the egg and cheese really well. You don’t want chunks of gooey eggs in your meatballs or it will show when cooked. I used pre-grated cheese from the store. You can use your own grated cheese if you prefer. I think one pound of chicken is sufficient but if you need meatballs for a larger crowd, feel free to double the recipe.
In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients. This includes almond flour, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. I used dried chopped parsley for this recipe. You can use fresh chopped parsley for this recipe, but make sure it is dry so the water doesn’t cause the almond flour to stick. You can also use breadcrumbs as a substitute for almond flour.
After your dry ingredients are mixed up, you will add them to the raw ground chicken mixture and combine the ingredients well. Next, make your meatballs by rolling the mixture into one inch sized balls. This recipe makes 16 meatballs.
Cook the meatballs on a skillet with olive oil. The skillet should be heated on medium heat so they don’t burn easily. I cooked my batch for about 8-10 minutes until I knew the chicken was cooked thoroughly. Once the meatballs are cooked, remove them from the skillet so you can make the creamy lemon sauce in the same skillet. This adds more flavor to the sauce.
To start the sauce, melt butter. After, add flour and mix with butter until there is no lumps. Next add water, chicken bouillon, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Mix the ingredients well. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. I think less salt is good for this sauce since the lemon has a strong tangy flavor.
When your sauce has been mixed well, add the meatballs back in and let them simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes. You can turn the chicken meatballs half-way through so all sides simmer in the sauce.
This a great and easy recipe to make! Let me know how your meatballs come out below!
Chicken Meatballs in Creamy Lemon Sauce
A healthy meal that pairs perfectly with a pasta, rice, or a salad.
Chicken Meatball Ingredients
- 1 lb raw ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chopped parsley, dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Lemon Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground chicken, egg, and mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together almond flour, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Mix dry ingredients well and add them to the ground chicken mixture.
- After mixing the dry ingredients well, make 1-inch chicken meatballs by rolling the mixture into balls with your hands. You should have 16 meatballs with this recipe.
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet for about a minute on medium heat.
- Add raw meatballs and let them cook for about 10 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Flip meatballs while cooking so they consistently cook all around.
- After meatballs are cooked, remove them from skillet and place them in a bowl. Set aside. Keep the heat on for the skillet.
- Add butter to heated skillet and melt.
- Add flour and mix well with whisk.
- Add chicken bouillon, water, and heavy cream. Mix well.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Add meatballs back in the skillet with the sauce and let them simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes.
- After, let them cool a bit and serve.
Serve with pasta, veggies, on a bed of rice, or by themselves! Enjoy!