It is Memorial Day weekend, which means it is time to have some fun in the sun. Try making these delicious lemon sandwich cookies for your outdoor grill party! They are filled with cream cheese frosting and will leave people wanting more. Below are some tips and the recipe!
Before starting this recipe, leave the butter, cream cheese and eggs out for an hour so they can soften and reach room temperature. You will need a handheld mixer to combine the wet ingredients and make the frosting. You will need a spoon to mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Once the butter has softened for cookies, creamy butter in a large bowl for about 3-4 minutes with a handheld mixer. Next, you will combine the sugar with the creamy butter. After you will add in one egg and mix well with sugar and butter. When the egg has mixed in completely. Add in the second egg.
Next you will had lemon zest from one large lemon and lemon juice from 1/2 of the large lemon. You can add more juice if you’d like but your dough does need to be pliable enough to roll into balls without sticking. You will mix in the lemon and zest with the rest of the wet ingredients using a hand mixer as well. When I added the lemon juice, my mixture did begin to curdle. I am not sure if the butter was too warm, or if there was too much juice for the mixture. Nevertheless, it was an easy fix once the batter was chill. If you decide to make these cookies, I would be mindful of the curdling.
After you’ve combined all your wet ingredients, divide the mixture as evenly as possible into two separate large bowls. One bowl will be for the red cookies and the other will be for the blue. To form a royal blue, you will need about 40 drops of blue gel food coloring and 6 drops of purple. Red was a bit difficult, I probably used about 50 drops of the red gel food coloring, 6 yellow, and 4 orange to get the color I wanted. Don’t be scared to play around with the coloring so you get the desired colors you want.
After adding your color to the wet ingredients, divide the dry ingredient mixture into the two bowls (one red, one blue). You will need to stir the ingredients really well with a spoon to ensure all the flour mixture is blended with the color. You may even need to add more coloring if you feel the flour mixture has lighten the batter a bit.
After the batters have been mixed to their desired color, chill in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes. The dough should become pliable enough to where you can roll it into balls for baking.
When the cookie dough is ready, roll the balls into about 1 inch in diameter and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure you have an even number for red and blue dough balls to make the sandwich cookies. Ended up with 18 red, and 18 blue cookies with this recipe.
After your dough balls are formed, use a flat top to press down on the cookies. I used the lid to a jar to press the cookies down. They should flatten to about one-eighth of an inch. When you have flatten all your cookies, bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 F. Once all your cookies have baked, let them cool and prepare your frosting.
The cream cheese frosting is a simple recipe. It’s similar to the frosting for the Pink Funfetti Cookies, except it has an extra cup of powdered sugar. To make this frosting, you will need a handheld mixer. Add the soften butter to a bowl and mix until it becomes a creamy texture. Next, add in the cream cheese and mix well with butter. You will then add one cup of powder sugar separately. Combine the first cup with the cream cheese and butter until powder is not visible. Add in the vanilla extract next and mix well. After, add the second cup of powder sugar and mix well. Then you can add the third. Once the last cup of powder sugar is added, you can pipe it onto the cookies.
To add some lemon flavor to the frosting, you can add about a teaspoon of lemon juice instead of vanilla extract. I would just be caution of not adding too much so your frosting doesn’t become runny.
I think these cookies came out great! I love the colors that turned out and think they are fitting to try for this Memorial Weekend. Let me know how your lemon sandwich cookies turn out below.
Red, White & Blue Lemon Sandwich Cookies
Celebrate the memorial holiday with these zesty lemon sandwich cookies by the grill.
Lemon Cookie Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Gel food coloring —For blue: 40-50 drops of blue & 6 drops purple; For red: 40-50 drops red, 6 drops yellow, & 4 drops orange
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Lemon Cookie Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Divide into 2 bowls and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with handheld mixer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add sugar into butter and mix well until sugar is combined with butter.
- Add in one egg and combine with sugar and butter with handheld mixer. Repeat for second egg.
- Add in lemon juice and zest and mix well with wet ingredients.
- Divide the wet ingredients evenly into 2 bowls.
- Add food coloring into wet ingredients. Add coloring for red cookies into one bowl and coloring for blue cookies into the other bowl. Mix the color in well.
- Add dry ingredients to each bowl and mix with a large spoon until all the dry ingredients have combined. **You may need to add more coloring to adjust the desired color.
- Chill in fridge for 30-60 minutes or until dough is hard enough to roll into a ball.
- When the dough has chilled, roll out 1-inch balls.
- Place dough balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a jar lid, flatten cookies to about 1/8 of an inch thick. **You may need to spray the lid with non-stick spray so dough doesn’t stick. Cookies should spread to about 1-1 1/2 inch thick after flattening.
- When all the dough balls have been flatten, bake then for 10 minutes in the oven at 350 F.
- Let them cool completely before adding frosting. [recipe-directions title="Cream Cheese Frosting Directions"]
- In a medium bowl, cream butter for 4-5 minutes with a handheld mixer.
- Next add the cream cheese to the butter. Combine the ingredients well.
- Add in one cup of powdered sugar. Mix until all sugar is combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Next, add in second cup of powdered sugar. Mix with handheld mixer until combined. Repeat for third cup of powdered sugar.
- When your cookies have cooled, pipe frosting onto a red cookie starting from the outer edge to the center of the cookie.
- Add blue cookie to the top and sandwich.
- Repeat steps 7 & 8 for all cookies.
Enjoy! Keep refrigerated when not serving.