Here are some fun summer cookies to make for your friends and family! They are bright, cute, soft, and delicious! Use this recipe for a birthday party or as a fun surprise. Below are some tips and the recipe for you to try!
These cookies are homemade without any funfetti box cake mix. Before starting the recipe, you want to have 3 sticks of butter and 12 oz of full-fat cream cheese sitting out at room temperature to soften. I usually let them sit out for an hour before I start the recipe. Full fat cream cheese is preferred for this recipe since the fat allows the cookies to be a soft texture like a funfetti cake. It adds moisture to the dessert that fat free cream cheese wouldn’t.
Next, start your recipe by adding flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Mix the dry ingredients well and set aside until you have combined all the wet ingredients. It is important to combine your dry ingredients separately so they mix well with the flour and can be dispersed evenly in the wet ingredients.
In a larger bowl, add in your butter for the cookies and whip the butter with a handheld mixer until it forms a creamy texture. This will take about 3-4 minutes. After, add in your cream cheese and mix well until you have a creamy texture with the butter. Add your sugar and mix it in well for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes fluffier.
Once the sugar has been combined with the cream cheese and butter, add in the vanilla extract and mix well. Add in one egg at a time to the cream cheese and butter mixture. Do not add the second egg until the first egg has been mixed well.
After all the wet ingredients have been combined, add the food coloring. The food coloring should be mixed into the wet ingredients before adding the dry ingredients. This helps the color disperse evenly. I used 14 drops of Wilton’s gel food color, magenta. You can use a different color or add more if you like. Gel food coloring is more vibrant and will take a lesser amount to get the desired color you want.
After you color is added, begin mixing in the dry ingredients with a large spoon. Mix well so you don’t get left over flour on your cookies when baking. When your batter has been mixed well, you are ready to bake!
Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I prefer using paper than non-stick spray since the grease will make the cookies more greasy. Which can make it difficult to tell if they are baked thoroughly. I decided to pipe the cookies onto the sheet. This was easier to do since the batter is sticky and not malleable. The batter is thick to pipe, so I would use a wide, rounded piping tip with no design. This would be equivalent to a Wilton 1A tip. I ended up piping about 2 inch oval cookies. They do expand in the oven so make sure you have enough space between them so they don’t stick! I was able to pipe 12 cookies in a 11 x 18 inch sheet.
Bake the cookies in the oven at 375 F for about 7-10 minutes. The cook time really depends on how soft you want your cookie to be. My cookies were ready at 7 minutes, but if you want them to be a little harder, having them in for a little longer won’t hurt. However I wouldn’t leave them in the over for over 10 minutes. While your cookies are baking, make your icing!
For this cream cheese icing, you will end up using the remaining stick of softened butter and 8 oz of cream cheese. In a large bowl, add in butter and mix with a handheld mixer until it becomes a creamy texture. Add in the cream cheese and mix until it becomes a creamy texture as well with the butter. This process will be the same as the creaming method for the cookies.
After you will add in one cup of powdered sugar. Mix the powdered sugar into the butter and cream cheese mixture until it has combined thoroughly. Scrape the sides of the bowl if needed. Next, you will add in the vanilla extract and mix well with handheld mixer until combined well with the ingredients. Lastly, add in the last cup of powdered sugar and combine it well with the ingredients.
You should have a creamy icing that is easily spreadable. It is almost like store bought frosting. Typically you add three cups of powered sugar for butter cream frosting, but I really wanted this frosting to be smooth and easy to spread onto the cookies with a spoon. The frosting does harden once the cookies have cooled and are refrigerated. I personally would use this icing recipe as a crumb coat for a cake recipe in the future just as an FYI.
Once the cookies have been baked thoroughly and have cooled completely, you can add icing to them and top them with your favorite sprinkles.
Let me know how your funfetti cookies come out for you!
Pink Funfetti Cookies
A fun cookie to share at your next big birthday bash!
Funfetti Cookie Ingredients
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 14 drops of gel food coloring (Wilton Magenta)
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Sprinkles desired
Funfetti Cookie Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with handheld mixer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cream cheese to butter and mix well until it combines into a creamy texture.
- Next, add sugar and mix into the wet ingredients with a mixer for about 5 minutes on med-high speed.
- Add vanilla extract and mix in as well
- Add 1 egg into the combined wet ingredients with a mixture until its completely mix in.
- Add the 2nd egg and mix well.
- When all the wet ingredients have been incorporated, add in food coloring and mix well.
- Slowly add in flour mixture and mix in with wet ingredients until all of it is combined. Use a spoon to mix flour in.
- Next, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a large rounded piping tip (Wilton 1A), pipe 2 inch round cookies onto the parchment paper. I made my cookies oval, feel free to do circular cookies. Leave some space for when the cookies expand.
- Using the back end of a spoon, push raw cookies slightly if they aren’t flat after piping.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until done. **Cookies will be soft when done, let them cool before moving to cooking rack.
- When ready, let cool completely before adding frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
- In a medium bowl, cream butter for 4-5 minutes with a handheld mixer.
- Next add the cream cheese to the butter. Combine the ingredients well.
- Add in one cup of powdered sugar. Mix well until all sugar is combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Finally, add in second cup of powdered sugar. Mix well with handheld mixer.
- When your cookies have cooled, add about 1 tbsp of frosting depending on how thick you want the icing layer to be.
- Top off with sprinkles and serve!
Enjoy! Keep refrigerated when not serving.
NutritionPer Serving: 277 calories; 19 g fat; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 70 mg cholesterol; 321 mg sodium.