Even though many parents are being safe at home with kids, this healthy recipe helps minimize your cooking tasks and lets you prep breakfast or a snack ahead of time! These muffins are sweetened with fruit and have no added sugar to them! Below is the recipe and some tips on how to make them.
You start the recipe by adding all your dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. I chose whole wheat flour because it provides more nutrients than all-purpose flour. You can use all-purpose flour for this recipe if you choose to. I also added in a bit of old fashion oats. This is completely optional, but adds to the texture of the muffin. If you omit the oats, you can add an additional cup of whole wheat flour.
In a separate bowl, you will add in the eggs, honey, and apple sauce. The honey and applesauce are your sugar replacement. You also add more sweetness to the batter when you add juice from oranges and zest to the egg mixture.
After all your wet ingredients are combined, mix in the dry ingredients but do not over mix.
I will say that the batter always taste sweeter than when it is actually baked. So when the muffins were done and cooled, they were not as sweet as I imagined them to be. They were delicious, but it was more of a bread. this led me to add a honey butter glaze to the top of the muffins to add a bit more sweetness. I recommend adding the glaze because again you will have a orange flavored bread than a muffin.Make your glaze as the muffins are baking. Once the muffins are done, you will brush the honey butter glaze on the muffins to give it flavor and shine.
You may find that these muffins are not as sweet as you’d like after the glaze. Feel free to add in a 1/2-1 cup of sugar to the recipe if you need to. I omit sugar because I want these to be a healthy sugar free recipe for individuals seeking a cleaner diet. They are not bad without the sugar. I also think a muffin shouldn’t be sweet like a cupcake because well it becomes a cupcake!
These muffins were great for breakfast and as a snack! Let me know how your Honey Glazed Orange Wheat Muffins turn out below!
Honey Glazed Orange Wheat Muffins
It's time for a healthy recipe that is perfect for your on the go schedule!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup orange juice (2 oranges)
- 3 tbsp orange zest
Honey Butter Glaze
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and apple sauce together. Add in honey and combine well with eggs.
- Next, add in orange juice and zest to egg mixture. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture by folding and mixing ingredients. Do not over mix your batter. Once all ingredients have been combined, stop.
- Add batter to muffin or cupcake tin and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- As your muffins bake, make your glaze! In a small sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add in honey for glaze and mix in with melted butter.
- When your muffins are baked throughly, transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Brush glaze to the top of the warm muffins. Let them cool before serving
Enjoy this healthy treat with eggs, fruit, or a snack!