If you like Garlic Parmesan, you will enjoy this orzo and chicken dish. It’s a 30 minute meal that is easy to make and feeds a large crowd. Below are some tips and the recipe!
The first step in this recipe is to cook your chicken. I chopped my chicken breast and added them into an oiled skillet on medium heat. I seasoned the chicken with onion powder, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. This gave the chicken some of its own flavor that added to the garlic parmesan orzo. I added in about a cup of halved cherry tomatoes for flavor. This is completely optional if you are not a tomato fan.
Once you have thoroughly cooked the chicken, add it to a bowl and set aside for later. In the same pan, add the orzo pasta. Brown the pasta form 3-5 minutes. This gives it a nutty flavor. When the pasta has browned add in one cup of chicken stock. Let the pasta soak up the stock completely. Add an additional cup of stock and let the pasta absorb the stock again. Next add in the last cup of stock and before it has been completely absorbed, add in the garlic parmesan sauce and cooked chicken. Turn the heat off and let the pasta and chicken simmer until ready to serve.
You are also able to use vegetable stock or water as a substitute for chicken stock for this recipe. You would add in the same amount of stock or water as the recipe states.
You can make the garlic parmesan sauce while you are browning and cooking the orzo pasta. In a separate pan, add the butter and minced garlic. Let the garlic cook in the butter for about 5 minutes. Add in the milk, parsley and onion powder and mix it all together. Then finally add in parmesan cheese and mix well until its melted.
The is recipe is delicious and a hit in my family! I’ve made this several times and usually serve it alone or with some french bread and a salad. Let me know how your orzo pasta turns out below!
Garlic Parmesan Orzo with Chicken
A simple, fresh, and tasty pasta dish that is quick to make!
- 2 raw chicken breast, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 3 cups chicken stock
Garlic Parmesan Sauce Ingredients
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup parmesean cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat and add chopped raw chicken.
- Add italian seasoning, onion powder, and minced garlic to season chicken.
- When the chicken is almost thoroughly cooked, add in the cherry tomatoes if desired.
- Mix chicken and tomatoes well and set aside in a bowl.
- On the same skillet, add in the other 1/2 tbsp of oil and heat for about 1 minute on medium heat.
- Add the orzo pasta and heat pasta for about 3-5 minutes. Turn consistently to keep it from burning.
- After, add in 1 cup of the chicken stock and let the pasta absorb it completely.
- Add in another cup of chicken stock and let the pasta absorb the liquid again.
- Next add in the last cup of chicken stock. While the pasta continues absorbing the stock, make your sauce.
- Add butter to a small sauce pan on low-medium heat and let it melt.
- Add in garlic and onion to cook in butter for about 5 minutes.
- Then add in milk and parsley to cook with butter, garlic, and onion for 5 minutes.
- After, add parmesean cheese and stir until thick and creamy.
- Before the pasta has absorbed all the chicken stock from the last cup, add in made garlic parmesean sauce and mix well with pasta.
- Turn off heat for pasta and let it simmer in the sauce until ready to serve.