It’s dessert time and here are amazing cookies for me to share. Below are some tips and the recipe.
The first time I made these cookies, they were tasty, but I knew I could improve. I discovered the brown butter method which makes these cookies so soft, moist, and taste like the best cookie ever! Basically to brown butter, you cook it on the stove top it for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. You will see the butter begin to brown as these brown flakes begin to come out of the butter. Your butter should be a tan color when browning. Not yellow! Once the butter is brown, you should let it cool for about 2-3 hours at room temperature. It is a process but when you take a bite of your cookies, they will be amazingly good!
Another method I use now that also add to the deliciousness of these cookies is whipping the brown butter and sugar until it becomes a white fluffy mixture. I use a hand-held mixture for this process and I mix the ingredients on medium to high speed for about 5 minutes. It adds a lot of texture to these cookies.
After you’ve whipped your brown butter and sugar, add the rest of the wet ingredients. However, do not add the eggs at the same time. Adding them one by one helps maintain the fluffy texture. Adding the eggs all at once might weigh your mixture down can cause your cookies to be dense. It also ensures the eggs mix well with the butter and not themselves.
When you have combined all the wet ingredients, begin folding in the dry ingredients. Use a mixing spoon for this. Don’t use a hand mixture.
If you are not a fan of walnuts, you can just add chocolate chips . I would add about an extra cup of chocolate chips if you don’t add walnuts.
Let me know how your walnut and chocolate chip cookies come out below!
Walnut & Chocolate Chip Cookies
A soft and light cookie full of great flavor!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a pan, cook butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until brown and has brown flakes in it.
- Let the butter cool for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven for 375 F.
- In a large bowl, add browned butter and sugars. Mix with handheld mixer on medium to high speed for 5 minutes or until butter and sugar become a fluffier white mixture.
- Add vanilla and mix well for 1 minutes.
- Add eggs to sugar butter mixture one at a time. Mix each egg for 5 minutes with handheld mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Using a mixing spoon, add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture. Fold the ingredients until everything is combined well.
- Next mix in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a ice cream scoop, roll cookie dough into 1-inch balls. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes them to a cooling rack.