Garlic bread is a great recipe to have since it compliments many dishes. Below is a recipe for my bread twist and some helpful tips!
The first step for this recipe is to activate your dry yeast in warm milk. I used one pack of dry yeast which is equivalent to 2 1/4 teaspoons. The temperature of the milk should be at 110 F before adding the yeast. To reach this temperature, I placed the milk in the microwave for 45-60 seconds. I wouldn’t do any longer than that. Once your milk is warm, add sugar and yeast. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes or until it is foaming.
After the yeast is activated, add flour and salt. Salt was crucial to get the flavor right for this recipe. You don’t want to be scarce with salt or your bread will be bland! I didn’t add any seasonings to the dough because I was worried I might ruin the composition of it. I will definitely try it next time! Once you add your four and salt, knead mixture for 3-5 minutes or until it becomes a smooth ball. Let it rest for about 1 hour in a room temperature area. Your dough should double in size!
While your dough is sitting go ahead and make your butter herb spread. Make sure your butter is soft before starting this. I usually let my butter sit out for an hour before starting any recipe that calls for softened butter. You don’t want to melt your butter, so make sure you give yourself enough time to soften!
Add minced garlic, salt, onion powder, parsley to the butter and let it sit until your dough is ready to roll. Having softened butter helps the herbs stick to the bread easily when cooked. You may have some butter left over. Feel free to use it as a spread.
When your dough has risen, roll it out gently to where it is about 11-12 inches long and 5-6 inches wide. Add the herb butter spread over the dough. Be careful not to let the dough stretch as you are adding the herbs. I found that the dough stretches easily when moisture is added to it. Try to keep the length and width consistent from when you initially rolled it out!
After you added the herb butter, cut the dough into three strips long way. Then fold into a braid. I braided the bread flat. You can roll the strips so it has a rounder shape. This is really up to you. After your bread is braided, connect the ends to make a circle shape and bake in the oven!
This bread is a great compliment to any dish! For someone who doesn’t know a lot about bread making, I found this recipe to be an easy one for a first timer!
Let me know how your garlic bread twist turns out!
Homemade Garlic Bread Twist
A easy, complimentary bread everyone will love!
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk (110 F)
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
Herb Butter Spread Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large bowl, warm milk for 45-60 seconds in microwave or until milk reads between 105-110F.
- Add sugar and yeast to warm milk and let it sit for 5 minutes until yeast activates.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Mix well.
- Add flour to milk and yeast mixture and begin to knead dough into a smooth ball.
- Knead dough for about 3 minutes.
- After, place dough in a large bowl, cover with clean dish towel and let it sit for an hour to rise.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Make your herb butter spread by combining softened butter with garlic, parsley, onion powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Next add parmesan cheese. Mix well. Set aside for when dough is ready.
- After dough has rise, roll dough out to 11 x 6 inch rectangle.
- Spread herb butter evenly over dough. Be careful not to stretch the dough out during this step.
- Cut dough into three long strips.
- Braid your dough then connect the ends by tucking one end under the other to form a circle.
- Place dough in oven for 13-15 minutes
Let bread twist cool and enjoy!