Here is a twist on your traditional sweet potato casserole.
When I was young, my grandmother used to make her sweet potato casserole with Cajeta for Thanksgiving. My initial plan was to make it, but I could not find any Cajeta nearby. So I decided to make the same recipe with dulce de leche. Cajeta and dulce de leche are basically the same. A difference is that Cajeta is made with goat milk and dulce de leche is made with cow milk.
This recipe came out delicious and I recommend trying this dish for your Thanksgiving dinner next week. The sweet potatoes were gooey and sweet! I forgot how much sweetness marshmallows add when you place them on top of the sweet potatoes.
I did boil the sweet potatoes the night before for 40 minutes and they were still soft enough to be mashed the next day when I decided to make the casserole. If you are needing to prep for Thanksgiving and want to make this dish, I think you are safe to boil the sweet potatoes the night before. It might save you some cooking time Thanksgiving Day.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe! Let me know how it turns out.
Dulce de Leche Sweet Potato Casserole
Perfect for a holiday feast.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dulce de leche
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Rinse and peel sweet potatoes. Chop into halves when finished and set aside.
- Next in a large pot, bring water to boil.
- Add in sweet potatoes and cook for 40 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 375°F.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain water from pot. (You can transfer the potatoes to a different bowl to mash at this point if you like. I mashed them in the same pot.)
- Mash sweet potatoes until you get the desired consistency.
- Add in the butter and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the dulce de leche. Continue mixing until ingredients are combined well.
- Pour the walnuts next if desired.
- Pour the mixture into a small 9-inch square pan. Spread evenly.
- Top with marshmallows and place in oven for an additional 17-20 minutes.
Let the sweet potato casserole cool before serving.